OK, I don’t want to diverge too much from the practical to the theoretical, so
I’m going to run down what is usual, not what is possible, because it narrows
the field of discussion.

Most people I know are using recording systems that bussing audio at 32-bit
float, minimum, and use 64-bit float calculations in plug-ins and significant
processing. They may still be using 24-bit audio tracks on disk, but for the
most part they are recorded and are dithered one way or another (primarily
gaussian noise in the recording process). They may bounce things to tracks to
free processor cycles. I think in large majority of cases, these are
self-dithered, but even if it doesn’t happen for some, I don’t think it will
impact the audio. And if people are worried about it, I don’t understand why
they aren’t using 32-bit float files, as I think most people have that choices
these days.

Some of the more hard core will send audio out to a convertor (therefore
truncated at 24-bit), and back in. Again, I think the vast majority of cases,
these will self dither, but then there’s the fact error is at a very low level,
will get buried in the thermal noise of the electronics, etc.

Maybe I left out some other good ones, but to cut it short, yes, I’m mainly
talking about final mixes. At 24-bit, that often goes to someone else to
master. The funny thing is that some mastering engineers say “only dither
once!”, and they want to be the one doing it. Others point out that they may
want to mess with the dynamic range and boost frequencies, and any error from
not dithering 24-bit will show up in…you know, the stereo imaging, depth, etc.
I think it would be exceptional to actually have truncation distortion of
significant duration, except for potential situations with unusual fades, so
I’m not worried about saying don’t dither 24-bit, even heading to a mastering
engineer (but again, do it if you want, it’s just no big deal for final
outputs–in contrast to the pain in the rear it is to do it at every point for
the items I mentioned in previous paragraphs).

Down the more theoretical paths, I’ve had people argue that this is a big deal
because things like ProTools 56k plug-ins need to be dithered internally…but
why argue legacy stuff that “is what it is”, and secondly, these people usually
don’t think through how many 24-bit truncations occur in a 56k algorithm, and
you only have so many cycles. The other thing I sometimes get is the specter of
the cumulative effect (but what if you have so many tracks, and feedback,
and…)—but it seems to me that the more of this you get going on, to approach a
meaningful error magnitude, the more it’s jumbled up in chaos and the less easy
it is for your ear to recognize it as “bad”.