>Now that I read up on it... Actually no. Every tempered distribution has a
>Fourier transform, and if that's compactly supported, the original
distribution
>can be reconstructed via the usual Shannon-Whittaker sinc interpolation
>formula. That also goes for polynomials and sine modulated polynomials
>in the continuous domain. Whatever that means in general.

Right, that makes intuitive sense. I guess what we lose is the model of
sampling as multiplication by a stream of delta functions, but that is more
of a pedagogical convenience than a basic requirement to begin with. But
what does the convergence of the Shannon-Whittaker formula look like in the
case of stuff like polynomials? In the usual setting we get nice results
about uniform local convergence, but that requires the asymptotic behavior
of the signal being sampled to behave nicely. In a case where it's blowing
up at polynomial rate, it seems intuitively that there could be quite
strong dependencies on samples far removed in time from any particular
region. So the concern would be that it works fine for the ideal sinc
interpolator, but could fall apart quite badly for realizable
approximations to that.