>Of course some funky global, dual shit happens then: you
>actually need all of the samples from -inf to +inf in order to
>define any polynomial, and no finitely supported in time subset will
suffice.

Right, this is what I was getting at with the convergence line of thinking.
We theoretically need all samples from -inf to +inf in the regular sampling
theorem as well, but we end up with reasonable error behavior when using
realizable reconstruction filters instead. This happens basically because
the sinc function dies off linearly and we are dealing with signals with at
most constant-ish asymptotic behavior - so the contribution of a given
sample to a given reconstruction region is guaranteed to die off as you get
farther away from the region in question. So for any finite delay, we can
get a finite error bound on the reconstruction. But in the case of a
polynomial it seems to me that the reconstruction in a given region (around
t=0 say) could depend very strongly on samples way off at t = +-
1,000,000,000, since the polynomial is eventually going to be growing
faster than the sinc is shrinking. So I'm not seeing how we can get any
error bounds for causal, finite-delay approximations to the ideal
reconstruction filter in the polynomial case.

Which suggests that what we need here is actually something stronger than a
sampling theorem. That a particular class of signals can be reconstructed
from its (infinite) samples is necessary but not sufficient. We also need
the property that the reconstruction can be approximated with realizable
filters in a useful way.