On 18/07/2015, Peter S <peter.schoffhau...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I find that what worked well for simple 1-bit signals, doesn't work
> well for multi-bit (audio) signals

Here's an example, using a variant of this metric for 8-bit waveforms:
http://morpheus.spectralhead.com/img/8bit_saw.png

The "entropy" graph at the right shows the estimate with increasing
amounts of precision, the width of the bar meaning the result of the
estimate. It converges well until some point, at which point, it stops
converging to zero, indicating that for general audio signals, this
metric will give poor results. What would work better for general
audio signals, I'm still trying to find out.

> so be careful, lest you lose people's interest

Based on the logs of my server, a total of 3 people viewed the results
first-order histogram-based entropy estimate. If we assume an average
of 100 active readers (I think realistic), then the estimated amount
of interest for entropy estimation is 3%. Which is, barely above zero.

-P