On 7/20/15 2:44 PM, padawa...@obiwannabe.co.uk wrote:
Whenever vintage delays come to my mind, I hear the sound of the bucket brigade
delay lines
that were made from a chain of capacitors and switches. In the early 80s there
were many
electronic magazine articles and kits to build them. The SAD chips had a maximum
delay time
of about 200ms. Were they digital? Kind of.

no, they weren't.  not really.

discrete-time is not the same as digital.

  Were they analogue? Kind of too.

they were fully analog[ue].

A lost technology
from gap between analogue and digital, you can hear them on a surprising number
of records,
especially early electronic.  That odd "dub" effect where a sound converges on a
single low
frequency is often BBD set to maximum feedback I think, but is sometimes
mistaken for tape
echo or early DDL.

to the precision of the A/D and D/A converters (which is considerable), there is no reason that a modern digital delay ling can't be made to sound like the old CCD (or "BBD" or whatever you wanna call it) delay products. like an analog[ue] amplifier, you might have to model in analog non-linearities, noise, buzz, hum, and interference to make it sound the same. with the exception of the non-linearities, i normally think that modeling the noise and buzz leaking through is not desirable. who knows?

one thing i think might be cool is to use different delay/echo effects on each string of a hex-pickup gitfiddle. just like you might have different pitch shifting done on each string.

--

r b-j                  r...@audioimagination.com