Hi Uli,

how well did you match the summing resistors and how much signal amplitude was
left?

Note that with a 0.1dB (~1% tolerance resistors) level difference between the
two signals, the difference would still have an amplitude about 40dB below the
original signals. You can get to -60dB with resistors matched to 0.1%. (this is
just a quick&dirty ballpark estimation)

The difference test can be very useful in digital domain, where exact level
matching comes for free. In the analog domain, however, it is very hard to
achieve the necessary precision so you’re not chasing ghosts.

Greets
Christian