On 09/08/2015, Sampo Syreeni <de...@iki.fi> wrote:

> In limine you could have *any* signal *at all*, but always sent with
> 100% certainty: when you saw it, its surprisal would be precisely zero.
> That's the trivial case of the underlying probability space for the
> entire signal being composed of a single message with probability 1,
> *whatever* that one signal might be.

Exactly. And in *all* other cases except that this very single corner
case, "surprisal" is nonzero, hence entropy is nonzero (whatever the
probabilities).

Why do you guys keep repeating this single corner case of 1 signal
with 100% probability having a Shannonian probabilistic entropy of
zero? Yes, as discussed ad nauseum, in that case, (Shannon) entropy is
zero, as it is a special corner case. Has been discussed several
times. And in virtually *all* other cases, surprisal is nonzero, hence
Shannon entropy is *nonzero*, irregardless of the actual probabilities
of the ensemble. It would be entirely pointless to repeat it again, I
showed this in various ways.

(And algorithmic entropy is always nonzero, even when the Shannon
entropy is zero. To understand that, you need to understand
algorithmic entropy.)

> Peter's problem then seems to be that he doesn't specify that underlying
> probability space nor state his assumptions fully.

You do not need to specify the probability space 'fully' to know that
when you have a probabilistic ensemble of at least two different
'words' (as you call them) from the symbol space with probability
different from one, then the Shannon entropy of a message (average
information content per message in bits) will be nonzero, without
exception. It comes straight from Shannon's entropy formula. Since I
also showed this in detail with formulas, there's no point in
repeating it like the 3rd time. If you don't understand it, read
Shannon's paper. If you cannot apply logic to a simple mathematical
formula, that is not my problem.

> But between the line
> he assumes that signals coming from an entirely different kind of, far
> more correlated-between-his-chosen-partition were an equal option.

I never assumed that. Your reading sounds flawed. Maybe first re-read
what I wrote.

Best regards,
Peter S