Interesting story about the interpolation noise from very
high oversampled signal approximations. I tend to think ïf it doesn't
concern an actual sinc function of significant width and accuracy then
the up-sampling is wrong unless the signal is prepared for it.

I can imagine in sample processing machines and software that you could
do effect processing in an oversampled domain which is arrived at by
having knowledge of the sample signals and possibly their detune filters,
and that it is possible to compute "sample sets" which allow oversampling
by relatively simple or cheap DSP operations to anyway fulfill certain
accuracy criteria, such as low noise, frequency accuracy, or effect
accuracy (like the number of fractional sampling accuracy in a phaser
effect for instance).

The linear interpolation I've used a decade ago for chorussing on a moderately
strong DSP of the time was ok bvecause of signal properties and the tunings of
the chorus I programmed, of course there's a lot to be said for using more than
zero order interpolations in general. I've looked at Taylor expansions for the
sinc function and it's possible accuracies, for instance. In mechanical design,
it was one of the early computer math issues to use all kinds of interpolation
schemes for a variety of purposes, with some terminology I suppose from the
early
days of the industrial revolution. However, a good understanding of these should
be based on an understanding of what they are for. Some interpolations are for
minimal stress, some for minimal distance given a certain curvature, others
are statistically neutral in some sense, etc. More interesting is to look at
more dimensional curves and surfaces or try out these in functional analysis
or computations, which is far outside the scope here, and not very useful in
normal audio subjects.

Unfortunately the averaging and continuity considerations of the various
interpolation curves and their mathematical properties aren't very well
correlated
with audi signals, and certainly not necessarily with sampling issues. So think
about what some suggested here: what is the filte rkernel that you're putting
over your
signal when using them, and what does the sampled nature add in terms of
misery by the side ?

T.V.