>the reason why it's merely convention is that if the minus sign was
swapped
>between the forward and inverse Fourier transform in all of the literature
and
>practice, all of the theorems would work the same as they do now.

Note that in some other areas they do actually use other conventions. It's
been a while since I've looked at it but IIRC in areas like geophysics they
have the signs swapped around.

Also there are different conventions about where to put the normalization
constants (on the analysis side, or on the synthesis side, or take the
square root and include it on both). Those make a bit more difference for
some of the theorems like Parseval, but again it all works the same you
just gotta be careful to be consistent.