On 10/12/2015 05:27 PM, Aran Mulholland wrote:
> I'm just wondering how people decide which functions should be
> inlined? What are the rules that you follow when choosing to
> inline a function? Are you concerned with function size or the
> number of inlined functions through the code base? What other
> considerations do you factor in whilst making the decision to inline?

Can't say specifically for the audio DSP context, not yet much
experience there. However it should always be kept in mind that
declaring a function inline is merely a hint at the compiler,
which is free to ignore it at all, according to the C language
definition.

I think it will depend on your specific requirements, if space is
no issue you might be more inclined to make things inlined. It
probably also depends on wether the function at hand is called in
a million places throughout a project, or only in a few
performance-critical inner loop parts.

Best,
Patric