BTW, now that we're talking about power and energy in the musical, acoustical sense, take a look at how much acoustical energy most speakers radiate. Even the biggest ones.

A well tuned line array typically has .001 to .02 power conversion efficiency from electricity to acoustics. Most of its power also radiates away from its intended target. As a result, what you hear in a concert is mere milliwatts of acoustic power. Of those, some land on your ears; there a mere .05mW over the tympani membrane is deafening.

Just sayin, us DSP folks typically don't know where the physical limits lie. Because we mostly deal with just numbers, we don't instantly see where the physical restraints on amplitude are, nor the rest of the psychoacoustics.

As such, I'd encourage people to do what e.g. RBJ just did: find the absolute limits first, and then calibrate/scale their work based on that. Because that way our DSP-sport ain't just about abject numbers anymore; it has something to do with the real world as well. Its numerics, its physical acoustical counterparts, and whatnot. :)
--
Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - de...@iki.fi, http://decoy.iki.fi/front
+358-40-3255353, 025E D175 ABE5 027C 9494 EEB0 E090 8BA9 0509 85C2