Hi Nuno,

Thanks for this opportunity to allow me to help you understand audio
latency on Android better.

Contributions to total round-trip audio latency on Android are best thought
as stemming from two parts.

A) Android service space (AudioFlinger etc)  ← developers and middleware
cannot affect latency here.

B) Android user space (App, DSP components, OpenSL ES) ← developers and
middleware can do quite lot to lower latency here.

Yes, the Superpowered Audio SDK (or any other API) can't improve OpenSL ES
audio latency itself when it comes to talking to the operating system's
audio stack, OpenSL ES is the only legal way to do that (right now). FWIW
Glenn Kasten mentioned at Google IO that the Pro Audio team is considering
other audio APIs.

0) HOWEVER, in Android user space, the Superpowered Audio SDK radically
improves latency down to 0 (zero/nada/zilch) as compared to components
offered by OpenSL ES, such as players and effects.

1) It is also worth mentioning Superpowered does away with Android/Open SL
ES’s fragmentation issues. OpenSL ES feature availability varies between
the different devices, while every Superpowered feature is available on
all. (We also offer considerably more features than OpenSL ES offers.)

2) Let’s not forget higher performance and higher battery life.
Superpowered outperforms every other audio API, including the extremely
high quality and industry benchmark, Core Audio by Apple.

3) Cross-platform code. Superpowered code is copy-paste between iOS, tvOS,
OSX and Android.

Back to Android service space latency, we’re putting the finishing touches
on a new media server for Android. A new media server that performs
reliable, glitch-free sub-10ms round trip audio latency. You’ll hear more
about that later.

Having spent time 'in the trenches' of Android audio, we want to take care
to note that we respect all of pioneering work that the Google Pro Audio
team has had to do, in making Android better (A thankless and brutal task).

And that we share the goal of making Android the best possible audio
platform it can be.

Any more comments, Nuno?

At your disposal,

Patrick