...I suppose I should give a more useful answer than that, though.

Given any f(x): Is it possible to sample f(x) with a given sample-rate
> ignoring all frequencies (slopes) higher than SF/2?

Yes, but it isn't necessarily a good idea.  The correct answer would be the
continuous convolution of f(x) with a sinc function scaled to match the
sampling rate of the signal.  That is,

[image: Inline image 3]
TeX:  f_{AA}(T) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}
f\bigg(\frac{T+t}{SR}\bigg)\frac{\sin(\pi t)}{\pi t} \delta t

Where T is the index of the sample and SR is the sampling rate.

But I think this is massive overkill.  Even if you're happy to solve the
integral there and pay the CPU cost of crunching the numbers properly,
there's a strong possibility that you'll perceive artifacts resulting from
the time-domain "smear" in your signal.  The theory here also breaks down
completely if your f(x) changes, such as shifting in fundamental frequency
--- although it holds if you interpolate between different waveforms.

Anyway, while I'm happy to illuminate this road I can't advise you to walk
it in good conscience.

– Evan Balster
creator of imitone <http://imitone.com>