As the author of one of the pages listed below I'd note that STM32 + codec is a
fairly capable combination. I'd caution however that the WM8731 may not be the
best choice - the DACs are fine but ADC side is fairly noisy. It's probably
fine for some things, but with a little care and a few extra cents you can do
much better.

Eric