      From: Remy Muller <muller.r...@gmail.com>
 To: music-dsp@music.columbia.edu
 Sent: Tuesday, 7 March 2017, 14:59
 Subject: [music-dsp] advice regarding USB oscilloscope

Hi,

I'd like to invest into an USB oscilloscope.

The main purpose is in analog data acquisition and instrumentation.
Since the main purpose is audio, bandwidth is not really an issue, most
models seem to provide 20MHz or much more and I'm mostly interested in
analog inputs, not logical ones.

Ideally I'd like to have

  - Mac, Windows and Linux support

- 4 channels or more

- 16-bit ADC

- up to 20V

- general purpose output generator*

- a scripting API (python preferred)

* I have been told that most oscilloscopes have either no or limited
output, and that I'd rather use a soundcard for generating dedicated
test audio signals, synchronizing the oscilloscope acquisition using the
soundcard's word-clock. However not having to deal with multiple drivers
and clock synchronization would be more than welcome.

A friend of mine recommended using Picoscope which seems well supported,
has a strong user community but no official support for python AFAIK.

https://www.picotech.com/oscilloscope/5000/flexible-resolution-oscilloscope

I also found about bitscope http://www.bitscope.com which looks more
oriented toward the casual hacker/maker, seems more open-ended and has
python support, much cheaper too.

What about the traditional oscilloscope companies like Tektronix, Rigol ?

Has anyone experience with any of those? or any other reference to
recommend?