Is there an extant software out there which lets me do comparisons between various speaker sets? Something in the vein of "just put in a test DVD-A, and let your Android app run"?

I mean, something like that ought to be doable per se. You'd just record your normal test signals such as an MLS noise of known characteristic, a 1kHz sine wave, a set of linear chirps of growing magnitude, and a bunch of synch signals, in some reasonable combination. So that you could at least in theory do synchronous detection of whatever you hear from your test DVD-A, simply by listening to it via your phone.

Obviously you couldn't help your phone's pickup being uneven, that way. But if you put the phone in the far field, pretty much the only thing you'd be missing would be its linear characteristic. That would distort any one measurement, but not any linear comparison. Also it needn't distort any nonlinear measurement such as THD, per se.

Is there an app for that already?
--
Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - de...@iki.fi, http://decoy.iki.fi/front
+358-40-3255353, 025E D175 ABE5 027C 9494 EEB0 E090 8BA9 0509 85C2