Dear DSP Experts,

can anybody tell me how to track drum partials? Is it even possible?
What I'd like to have are the frequency & amplitude envelopes of the partials so that I can rebuild the drum sounds with additive synthesis.

I've tried it with heavily overlapping FFTs and then building tracks from the peaks. Feeding the results into the synthesis (~60 generators) brought halfway acceptable sounds. Of course after playing with FFT- and overlapping step sizes for a while.

But those envelopes were strange and it was very frustrating to see the results when I analyzed a synthesized sound containing some simple sine sweeps this way. Got a good result for the loudest sweep. But the rest was scattered in short signals with strange frequencies.

Large FFTs have got the resolution to separate the partials but a bad resolution in time so you don't even see the higher partials which are gone within a short part of the buffer. With small FFTs every bin is crowded with some partials. And every kind of mask adds the more artifacts the smaller the FFT is.

Also tried BP filter banks. Even worse!
It's always resolution in time and frequency fighting each other too much for this subject.

Any solution for this?

Best Regards,

Thomas