I don't know if it is possible to make the math behind elliptic filters simpler. They really stand out by using somewhat exotic functions.

As for the online resource about filter basics unfortunately I can't recommend any. Also IMHO the resource choice may be strongly affected by your goals.

Regards,
Vadim

PS. If your goal is to design synth filters, I probably would have recommended my book, but it requires some math background, and also since you seem to be interested in elliptic filters, I'm not sure if this is the area you're looking for.