Can you explain your notation a little bit? Is x[t] the sample index into
your signal? And t is time in samples?

I might formulate it as a Delta of indicies where a Delta of 1 is a normal
playback speed and you have some exponential rate. Would something like
this work?

delta *= rate
t += delta
y[n] = x[n - t + N]

My notation probably means something different from yours, but the idea is
the time varying index t accelerates or decelerates at a given rate. I've
kind of written a hybrid of pseudocode and DSP notation, sorry.

You would probably actually want some interpolation and for an application
like this one I would probably stick with linear interpolation (even though
most people on this list will probably disagree with me on that). Keep in
mind, though, that skipping samples might mean aliasing which will mean
low-pass filtering your signal (unless you know that there's no frequency
content in offensive ranges), and since you're essentially doing a variable
skip rate your low pass filter might either need to be aggressive or
variable.

Something about this algorithm scares me in it's seemingly unbounded need
for memory. Seems like a lot of heuristic constraints...

Stefan