> Another disadvantage was that you get a noticable chirp transient when
> the phases realign after one complete cycle of the wavetable.

Just put them in the buffer with random phases and they'll never re-align.
That's not what a piano does of course, but might be servicable.

BTW, my synth does PW/PWM with two out-of-phase sawtooths, one negative.
When I make the harmonics of one of the sawtooths random, you get something
that sounds like PWM except it never comes to a "peak", it just grinds away.

I haven't heard that on any other synth but would love to know if anyone
knows prior art.