I designed a four-band AGC for broadcast about 20 years ago, using single-pole
subtractive band split filters. I used RMS detection, and wanting each band’s
processing to be doing roughly equal ‘work,’  determined the crossover
frequencies on the basis of typical energy distribution. This worked out to
around 150 Hz, 500 Hz and 1800 Hz, and the processor sounded extremely natural
on pretty much all sources.

Kind Regards,

David Reaves
Recklinghausen, German