Hey, Frank —

I use four-point, third-order hermite resampling everywhere.  It's fast,
relatively simple, and as good as will be necessary for most applications.
Linear resampling can introduce some perceptible harmonic distortion into
higher frequencies.  This will be especially noticeable when slowing down
or upsampling audio with high-frequency content.

Aliasing in audio occurs when frequencies outside the representable range
are generated, by resampling, synthesis or other sources of harmonic
distortion.  Aliased frequencies "wrap around"; generating a 1700hz
frequency in a signal with 1000hz nyquist will result in a 300hz
frequency.  As a rule of thumb, when speeding up audio, you first filter
out those frequencies which will be pushed over Nyquist and wrap around;
when slowing it down, you afterward filter out those frequencies which
should not exist (but come into existence because of harmonic distortion).
I made a great improvement in a resampling-heavy soundscape application by
implementing fourth-order butterworth filters in my pitch-shifters, which
had formerly implemented no antialiasing; a great deal of "harshness" was
eliminated in one sweep.

Here is a wonderful, very skimmable paper that tells you everything you
could ever want to know about resampling and provides example code for many
techniques:  http://yehar.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/deip.pdf

– Evan Balster
creator of imitone <http://imitone.com>