Hi Raphaël,

you might consider additional spectral descriptors such as MFCC/BFCC, cepstrum, spectral moments like centroid, variance, skewness. For visualization purposes where you want to map perceived sound to visuals a more perceptually oriented scale is also useful, so use barkhausen or mel scale instead of plain FFT. Also psychoacoustic quantities such as sharpness, roughness, tonalness, spectral rolloff, spread, or even time domain quantities like zero crossing rate (e.g. puredata Dissonance Model Toolbox or timbreID package). Have a look also at the stuff from the MTG Barcelona (http://essentia.upf.edu/documentation/) they have mood/key detection and all kinds of things. Transient detection is also important for mapping rhytmical events as opposed to 'steady state' spectral characteristics.

I am very much into this topic of mapping live musical parameters to (generative, real-time rendered) visuals, so I'm very interested in what others have to add to this list.

Best regards,
Patric