Adding zeros is an advantage as then you don't need to calculate their multiplication, as 0 x coefficient = 0

The filter order will be the same with zeros or repeated samples.

Tom

On 7/24/2018 4:37 PM, rolfsassin...@web.de wrote:
Hello Nigel
could you please say a word more to what you mean by "2x", "3x"?

Also I am again not sure why in this case, adding zeros is an advantage. I had expected to just copy the samples to have less work to do in filtering. I tested such things in MATLAB and found that feeding zeros needs more filter TAPs to come to the same result.
Rolf
*Gesendet:* Montag, 23. Juli 2018 um 18:25 Uhr
*Von:* "Nigel Redmon" <earle...@earlevel.com>
*An:* music-dsp@music.columbia.edu
*Betreff:* Re: [music-dsp] resampling
Some articles on my website: http://www.earlevel.com/main/category/digital-audio/sample-rate-conversion/, especially the 2010 articles, but the Amp Sim article might be a helpful overview. 48k -> 8k: Filter with a lowpass with cutoff below 4k; keep 1 sample, throw away 5, repeat. 8k -> 48k: Use 1 sample, follow it with 5 new samples of 0 value, repeat; filter with a lowpass filter with cutoff below 4k.

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>