In my example, the buffer is 2 times as long as the lowest possible pitch,
for example if your lowest pitch is 20 Hz, you need 50 ms for one wave cycle

Think of it as magnetic tape, without sample rate, the minimum requierd latency and the buffer length in milliesconds
are independent of sample rate
You have 100 ms "magnetic tape", search for similarity, and then chop the tape according to that.
Then you have sippets of 50 ms length or smaller.
Then you copy these snippets and piece them together again, at a higher or slower rate than before. You can also shrink or lengthen the snippets and change the formants, that ist shift all
spectral contant of one snippet up or down.