Thanks for your time

My question rephrased:
Lets assume a spectrum of size N, can you create a meaningfull spectrum of size N/2
by simply adding every other bin together?

Neglecting the artefacts of the forward transform, lets say an artificial spectrum
(or a spectrum after peak picking that discards the region around the peaks)

Lets say two sinusoids in two adjacent bins, will summing them into a single bin of a half sized spectrum
make sense and represent them adequately?
In my limited understanding, yes, but I am not sure, and would like to know why not
if that is not the case.

I'm not sure what "compress" means in this context, nor am I sure what "fall together" means. But here's some points to note:

A steady state sine wave in the time domain will be transformed by a short-time fourier transform into a spectral peak, convolved (in the frequency domain) by the spectrum of the analysis envelope. If you know that all of your inputs are sine waves, then you can perform "spectral peak picking" (AKA MQ analysis) and reduce your signal to a list of sine waves and their frequencies and phases -- this is the sinusoidal component of Serra's SMS (explained in the pdf linked above).

Note that since a sinusoid ends up placing non-zero values in every FFT bin, you'd need to account for that in your spectral estimation, which basic MQ does not -- hence it does not perfectly estimate the sinusoids.

In any case, most signals are not sums of stationary sinusoids. And since signals are typically buried in noise, or superimposed on top of each other, so the problem is not well posed. For two very simple examples: consider two stable sine waves at 440Hz and 441Hz -- you will need a very long FFT to distinguish this from a single amplitude-modulated sine wave? or consider a sine wave plus white noise -- the accuracy of frequency and phase recovery will depend on how much input you have to work with.

I think by "compression" you mean "represent sparsely" (i.e. with some reduced representation.) The spectral modeling approach is to "model" the signal by assuming it has some particular structure (e.g. sinusoids+noise, or sinusoids+transients+noise) and then work out how to extract this structure from the signal (or to reassemble it for synthesis).

An alternative (more mathematical) approach is to simply assume that the signal is sparse in some (unknown) domain. It turns out that if your signal is sparse, you can apply a constrained random dimensionality reduction to the signal and not lose any information. This is the field of compressed sensing. Note that in this case, you haven't recovered any structure.

Ross