Am 05.11.2018 um 01:56 schrieb gm:
so you do the "radix 2 algorithm" if you will on a subband, and now what?
the bandlimits are what? the neighbouring upper and lower bands?

how do I get a frequency estimate "in between" out of these two real values that describe the upper and lower limit of the band but have no further information?

thank you.
The way I see it:

If you do that 2 point transform on a band you get 2 data points instead of one (or rather instead of two sucsessive ones of course), representing the upper and lower bandwith limit of the band, but not very well seperated. But if you take the result of the previous frame also into account you now get 4 points representing the corner of a bin of the original spectrum so to say, however in bewteen spectra, and you now can do bilinear interpolation between these 4 points.

But in the end this is just crude averaging between two sucessive spectra, and I am not sure if it sounded better or worse. It's hard to tell a difference, it works quite well on a sine sweep though.

But there must be a better way to make use of these 2 extra data points.

In the end you now have the same amount of information as with a spectrum of double size.
So you should be able to obtain the same quality from that.
That was my way of thinking, however flawed that is, I'd like to know.