At the moment I am using decreasing window sizes on a log 2 scale.

It's still pretty blurred, and I don't know if I just don't have the right window parameters, and if a log 2 scale is too coarse and differs too much from an auditory scale, or if if I don't have
enough overlaps in resynthesis (I have four).
Or if it's all together.

The problem is the lowest octave or the lowest two octaves, where I need a long window for frequency estimation and partial tracking, it just soundded bad when the window was smaller in this range
because the frequencies are blurred too much I assume.

Unfortunately I am not sure what quality can be achieved and where the limits are with this approach.