I think people have thought about this (IIRC at least I heard from one of the U-He guys that he tried zero-delay feedback FM). I'm not sure what's the origin of your equation, but then I'm not into phase modulation synthesis. Anyway, I suspect in certain excessive nonlinear situations there is no solution whatsoever. E.g. consider the zero-feedback equation of the form

x = a*x + b*y
y = b*x - a*y
where x,y are signals and a and b are coefficients such that a^2+b^2=1 (actually this equation is linear, but I think you get the idea).

Some basic thoughts on the rising issues (and on how to solve your equation) can be found in Section 3.13 of this text:

https://www.native-instruments.com/fileadmin/ni_media/downloads/pdf/VAFilterDesign_2.1.0.pdf

Plus the usual numerical nonlinear solution techniques of course (where Sections 6.4-6.8 and 6.10 may be of interest).

Regards,
Vadim