I'm responding to this response as the original message didn't show up
in my inbox.

There's more to the sound than just the Autotuned or pitch-shifted
signal. To make the 'phasey' sound the pitch-shifted and original
signal are mixed together, and the result is a lot like the sound out
of a phasor or flanger (two different but related effects), which
works very similarly - the original signal is either phase-shifted
(through several "all-pass" filter stages) or delayed by a short
period (roughly 0.1 to 20mS), and the original signal is mixed in. The
mixing of the phase shift or delay with the original signal causes
various comb filter effects, and apparently a frequency shift does
this too.

This use of Autotune/pitch correction does sound remarkably like a
vocoder effect, but there's no real connection between the way they
are generated. The popular 1990s Cher song "Believe" uses this sound
that many people point to as evidence that Cher's singing was
autotuned, but the engineers and producers of the song denied it and
claimed it was a vocoder being switched in and out.