On Jan 15, 2019, at 7:50 PM, Ben Bradley <ben.pi.brad...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This use of Autotune/pitch correction does sound remarkably like a
> vocoder effect, but there's no real connection between the way they
> are generated. The popular 1990s Cher song "Believe" uses this sound
> that many people point to as evidence that Cher's singing was
> autotuned, but the engineers and producers of the song denied it and
> claimed it was a vocoder being switched in and out.

I was going to reply here and say the same thing, and there were a number of
threads on this back in the day.  But it turns out that the the original claim
that they were using a Digitech Talker and not Autotune actually later turned
out to be not true, and was presumably fabricated at the time so as not to
divulge their trade secret!  I only just now found this out myself while
looking for links to the article to post in a response here saying that it was
actually a vocoder. :)

Here’s the original Sound on Sound article which described the
supposedly-using-a-Talker technique.  The article was subsequently amended with
an additional note explaining that it later came to light that they actually
WERE using Autotune, but they left the original article text there for
historical interest.  Search for “historical footnote”:
https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/recording-cher-believe

There’s also a note about this in the all-knowing Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Believe_(Cher_song)#Auto-Tune

Jim