On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 08:05:11PM +0100, David Reaves wrote:

> I’m wondering about why the ever-prevalent auto-tune effect in much
> of today's (cough!) music (cough!) seems, to my ears, to have such
> a vocoder-y sound to it. Are the two effects related?

So, I would say yes, they're related. Weakly. As Sampo says,
the method is essentially a grain-wise Fourier reconstruction.
Upshot is it sounds like a vocoder because it is the voice
'vocoded' with a pulse stream at near to the original fundamental
(but corrected). Additionally two other things enhance the
psychoacoustic impression that it's a classic vocoder. First
is the pitch quantisation, so when you glissando there's
a stepped effect that makes the banding stand out more.
And second, as Ben says, some mixing of the dry and wet usually
produces a chorus/flanger effect on top.

Disclaimer: I have never seen the Antares source code so
could be guessing very wrongly, but that's what my ears think.

best,
Andy