Aren't Auto-Tune and similar built on LPC vocoders? I had the impression
that was publicly known (recalling magazine interviews/articles from the
late 90s). The secret sauce being all the stuff required for pitch
tracking, unvoiced segments, different tunings, vibrato, corner cases, etc.

But as far as "sounds like a vocoder," the basic nature of the effect is
exactly that: you have a formant filter that tracks the input speech, which
you excite with a synthetic signal. If that synthetic signal tracks the
real excitation very closely, this sounds quite natural. If you push hard
on the effect (or just do a bad job at the synthesis part), the artificial
nature of the excitation becomes apparent and the result is essentially the
"classic" synthesizer-driven vocoder sound.

Also the factors others have mentioned: stuff like hard pitch quantization
and intermodulation artifacts make the excitation sound "robotic", and you
get a further chorus effect from mixing with unprocessed input.

Ethan