If an update on a zero-crossing is enough, you might want to take a look at the
wave guide oscillator:
https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/pasp/Digital_Waveguide_Oscillator.html

It does like updates at zero-crossings, but needs some history corrections.

The coupled-form oscillator, as discussed in the thread, has an issue, if  the
sum of the squares of the coefficients is not exactly 1.0. I’m not sure, if a
small controlled contamination with noise of the coefficients might help.
just an idea. Like switching between 2 coefficient sets to meet the above
condition in a time interval. Just a weird idea.

Best,

Steffan