This is a very cool blog, I need to spend some time with it. It's also
interesting to draw parallels between the graphics stuff that Alex writes
about to the audio realm.

Traditional FIR/IIR filtering is ubiquitous but actually does suffer from
drawbacks such as phase distortion and the inherent delay involved.   FFT
filtering is essentially zero-phase, but instead of delays due to samples,
you get delays due to FFT computational complexity instead.