unfortunately, i'm not familiar with that paper.  could you please attach
it or provide a link for reference?  the Gibbs phenomenon is actually a
very well-known and thoroughly characterized signal processing artifact
that has been approached from a variety of angles as far as trying to find
a solution.  iit can be thought of as an unavoidable digital filter
response of having to take X number of samples in one snapshot while
capturing a finite instance in time (as you might know the Dirac delta is
centered on DC)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringing_artifacts