[RFB - Request for Brainstorming]

In the few classical releases I added in the weeks since I've joined,
various part numbering questions came up that are answered either in
CSG, through proposed changes, through word of mouth (editing comments)
or not answered at all.

In this thread I want to collect the various classical part numbering
needs so that I can try to come up with a proposal later.

Here is a summary of needs and canonical examples that I came across.

Movement Numbers
================

Numbering: Roman numerals.
Example:

        Symphony No. 9 in D minor, Op. 125: II. Molto vivace

Movements split across tracks
=============================

Numbering: Roman numerals followed by lowercase letter.
Example:

        Symphony No. 9 in D minor "Choral", Op. 125: IVc. Allegro assai vivace.
Alla marcia -

Hierarchical Parts
==================

Example:

        Requiem in D minor, KV 626: IIIa. Sequenz: Dies irae

(Note that that use of colon is proposed in a separate thread)

Named Movements
===============

Just a thought - any example?

Cantatas with parts
===================

Numbering: "Part <roman numeral>, <roman numeral>"
Example:
        Cantata, BWV 17 "Wer Dank opfert, der preiset mich": Part II, V. Aria
"Welch Übermaß der Güte"

Operas
======

Numbering: "Act <roman numeral>, Scene <roman numeral>"
Example:

        Don Giovanni: Act I, Scene III. (Duettino: Don Giovanni, Zerlina) "La
ci darem la mano"

Alternatives discussed or used: "Act <roman numeral>, Scene <arabic
numeral>"

Open issue: What if there's a part numbering in addition to Act/Scene
numbering?

Passions
========

Current MB releases have a huge variety:

        Johannes-Passion, BWV 245, Teil I: Choral "Wer hat dich so geschlagen"
        Johannes-Passion, Zweiter Teil: In meines Herzens Grunde
        No. 22 Recitativo: Der Heiland fällt vor seinem Vater nieder
        [Part Two] Alto 1 - Aria: Ach! Nun ist mein Jesus hin! (Chorus: Wo
istdenn)
        Matthäus-Passion, BWV 244: II. Teil, XXXVIII. Nun ist der Herr zu Ruh
gebracht
        No. 67 - Recitativo (+ Chor): Nun Ist Der Herr Zur Ruh Gebracht
        77. Rezitativ: Nun ist der Herr zur Ruh gebracht; mit Chor: Mein Jesu,
gute Nacht
        St. Matthew Passion: LXVIII. Chorus: Wir setzen uns mit Tranen nieder
        St. Matthew Passion BWV 244, Part Two: No. 56 Rezitativ: Der
Landpfleger sagte

(Note that just like with Cantatas, numbering is is consecutive through
the whole work; Part Two starts with No. 36)

At this first stage I have two specific questions to the audience:

1. Is this summary correct?
2. Which other canonical examples are there that are not covered above?

In the next step I'll collect to responses and come up with suggestions.

Robert

[1] http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/MultiTrackMovementStyle
[2] http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/ClassicalTrackTitleStyle
[3] http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/OperaTrackStyle