Kuno Woudt wrote:
> When dealing with names which are already in the correct order, e.g. Lee
> Jung Hyun:
>
> http://musicbrainz.org/release/119fe913-acca-4931-8e6e-47e22a933cba/cover-art
>
> I'm always inclined to just copy the name, as it already would sort
> correctly.  But perhaps I should add a comma anyway, so:
> name: Lee Jung Hyun, sort-name: Lee, Jung Hyun

I think the comma should be there. Even though the name is already in
the right order, we don't know which part is the surname, so if someone
wants to group names together by surname, they can't.

> (picard used to be able to use the sort name as a translated name, which
> would've been a reason to leave the comma off to prevent picard from
> swapping names which are already in the correct order -- does picard
> still do that?).

The option is still there but has been updated for NGS. It first looks
for an alias with the correct locale. If there isn't anything usable, it
falls back to reversing the sortname.

> Korean artists tend to use the family name, given name order even when
> writing their names in latin script.   With japanese artists I've seen
> both (given name, family name seems a bit more common than family name,
> given name).  If picard still does the swapping, I'd be inclined to
> write Koda Kumi without a comma, because she doesn't use "Kumi Koda" on
> album covers so the names shouldn't be swapped, but add "Hamasaki,
> Ayumi" with comma, because she does generally use "Ayumi Hamasaki" on
> album covers.

See the previous comment. You should use aliases to specify the correct
name.

Nikki