Now that we've officially released the Cover Art Archive, I'd like to
propose that we also officially deprecate the cover art relationship.
The existing relationships can stay of course until covers have been
added to the Cover Art Archive, it would just mean that no new
relationships could be added. It would also not affect the Amazon
relationship.

There aren't many new cover art relationships being added these days
(if there ever were) - just 18 open/applied in the last 8 weeks and
all except one is for CD Baby. Most CD Baby releases are also
available (with bigger images) on Amazon anyway.
The cover art relationship is also problematic because we have no
control over external sites - http://musicbrainz.org/edit/19322606 is
a perfect recent example of that.

Deprecating the relationship would reduce the number of ways cover art
can be added, making it less confusing for users, easier for us (both
users and developers) to maintain and easier to work with for other
developers wanting access our cover art.

Ticket: http://tickets.musicbrainz.org/browse/STYLE-158
Expected expiration date: 2012-11-05

Nikki