> Den 04-03-2014 12:57, Frederic Da Vitoria skrev:
> > What I mean is that any information is only valid in a certain
> > reference frame. Currently, we tend to record only legally confirmed
> > data, or information which does not contradict legally confirmed data.
> > What if an official artist stated that someone else contributed to a
> > work or a recording? The second artist doesn't hold any rights on the
> > recording or the work, the second artist's role is not mentioned on
> > the release or the score, but still, the "official" artist did
> > acknowledge the second artist's role. AFAIK we currently don't record
> > such information, or not in a "database" way.
>
> Huh? I do. (Well, I would, not sure if I have yet. I can't remember any
> such cases.) I tend to err on the factual side rather than the legalese
> one. If there's a conflict, I would note it in the annotation.

You do, but last time I read about this on MB, many users didn't. For
example most users will simply enter what they see on the sleeve. That's
what I do most of the time because I don't have the time to check. But this
means we aren't able to tell how reliable our data is, since we can't tell
where it came from afterwards. This also means no user can search on
"printed" data or "legal" data or on "reconstructed" data alone or on
combinations of those.

> Annotations? Yes, that's the only way to do it currently. But
> > annotations are not searchable AFAIK.
>
> They are. Just set the type in the search to be "Annotation" and it'll
> search annotation. (Mind boggling, I know!)

OK, but who will think of this when doing a search? If I search for tracks
related to Artist X, most of the times I won't think of doing first a
direct search, then doing a new search in the annotation, then compile both
result sets. Not user-friendly to say the least. And the "Annotation"
results will be full of unrelated data if the Artist I am looking for has a
common name, not to mention annotations where the artist will have been
misspelled.

 > Edit notes are useless IMO.
>
> I agree with this though.

I understand what I am suggesting is a difficult change: it would mean not
only adding a new column to "qualify" (not sure this is the correct word in
English) the data, but also probably impact quite a few parts of code.

--
Frederic Da Vitoria
(davitof)

http://www.april.org