On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 07:24:59AM -0800, jesus2099 wrote:
> I can’t remember where but I know I have already used * is the basis for
> <https://musicbrainz.org/relationship/6bb1df6b-57f3-434d-8a39-5dc363d2eb78>
> * work‐work AR for such a case.
> I thought it was done exactly for that.

"* is the basis for" generally implies that a much larger portion of the
song, if not the entire song, is based on the first. For example, "A
Lover's Concerto" (performed by The Supremes, etc.) is based on "Minuet in
G" by JS Bach- although the time signature differs, the melody is the same
throughout the entire song. In the example I give, "I Want a New Drug" is
in no way 'based on' "Purple Haze", save for a couple measures thrown into
the guitar solo at the end of the song. In this case the "quote" is a much
shorter bit in a song that otherwise has nothing to do with the original.
On some sites these are called "teases".

> And if you want to have a recording‐work (because it’s only on a one‐off
> performance) AR you can link to the borrowed work as /is a *partial*
> recording of/.

Yeah, I've been using the "partial live cover of" for that kind of thing-
just wondered if there was a more appropriate wording for it.

As for the "Interpolation (music)" wiki, the example given there of
"Ghetto Superstar" using the melody from "Islands in the Stream", this
isn't really a direct quote, and honestly seems to me to be more of a
"based on" relationship, since the chorus of GS directly uses the melody
from IitS, but with different words.  Perhaps "quote" and "interpolation"
(and any others deemed appropriate) could be sub-categories of the "based
on" relationship.