I've been dreaming of this relationship too, so thanks for taking action, 34
:-)

I'd suggest conceptualizing the relationship as broadly as possible.  Caller
#6 came up with this wording a couple years ago in an edit discussion,* and
I've always liked it:

"[work] includes [lyrics|music] adapted from [work]"

I like it because when musicians do this, they usually rework the borrowed
material in some way.  For example, the Smiths song  "Hand in Glove"
includes the line "And everything depends upon how near you stand to me."
That comes from Leonard Cohen's song "Take This Longing," but in that song
it's "sleep," not "stand."

Maybe "Lover's Concerto" would be an example of the same thing on the
musical level (same melody, different meter).  But my point is that if we
just call it an adaptation, or something equally general, then we capture
the essential information -- Work B includes some element of Work A --
without having to argue about whether that element is being quoted or
interpolated or whatever.

Or if people really want to argue, then maybe we could have subcategories
like you mentioned, 34.  But I'd like the broad category to be selectable as
well, for editors like me who don't care to get that deep into it.

Personally, I'm mainly interested in seeing a work-work relationship get
created here.  I'm not at all opposed to the work-recording version, but I'm
happy enough using "partial performance" for that one.

Patrick

* https://musicbrainz.org/edit/17141710