Hello List,

I have added a lot of legal names artists for writing credits as this makes
the task a lot easier to have 2 things in the dataabse.
Using the databases listed in
http://musicbrainz.org/doc/Work#External_databases that deal with legal
names it makes it easier to find someone in the database that already
exists.
Having these extra entries allows me to search for artists and see if the
ipi matches the works database.
As long as the policy allows for these to exist in some form it makes my
job easier.

Now the works databases can be quite inconsistent with some artists and the
way they are credited can change a lot over the years.
Some artists will use an alias at the start of thair career and later it is
changed to thair first and last name and sometimes this is then changed to
first middle last name with 3 or more ipi numbers for the artist.
One example of this is groove armada where we have  Andy Cato /  Andrew
Derek Cocup and some being credited with one or the other variation of name.
http://musicbrainz.org/artist/35723b60-732e-4bd8-957f-320b416e7b7f/works
http://musicbrainz.org/artist/15649f44-ae4f-40d6-857e-820db654f1ea/works
http://musicbrainz.org/artist/a37337bd-bcf4-412a-9cce-434ca7c41e87/works

I have a preference to not merge artists as i usually assume that someone
created it for a reason.
Not to say that I don't do it but I try and see if there is a lot of
overlap between the two.

One thing that I would like is someone to create a plugin for picard that
for writing credits looks to see if there is a legal name alias and uses
that instead of the name. This will make things more consistent and if
someone has created an alias it will have the same effect than creating a
new artist in the database and changing who wrote the work.

Regards,

Daniel