I have audio books, dj mixes and bootlegs where defining chapters would be
useful.

Can we use pseudo releases as a possible solution?
I believe this was created for translations with the same number of tracks
but I think we could stretch this to work for chapters.
What we could do is create a release with the one or more long recordings
and then create another release that is of the type pseudo release that
represents the chapter marks or the times of different songs in the
performance.
This pseudo release you would define the chapters for audiobooks or the
list of tracks in the recording.
You would then have a relationship from recording to medium in the pseudo
release to say that this long recording is made up of these chapters.
It needs to on mediums to allow a recording has chapters defined in medium
X of psudo release to allow for multiple files with chapters.

This should not need any change to how the editor works or schema changes.
You would then need to edit picard or add a plugin to detect this and write
chapter tags.