Here is my method for finding some of these names.

Using the works databases you can sometimes track down an artists full name.
The apra search engine allows you to enter a performance name and a song
name so you can use this as a starting point
https://www.apra.com.au/cms/worksearch/worksearch.srvlt
Note that the output is limited and this usually only returns the last name.
Note that the person may not write thair own songs and it may be a cover so
try and see if all the songs are written by the one person.

Now we have a last name or a list of last names start to correlate this
with the song in other databases.
Use other works database linked from https://musicbrainz.org/doc/Work to
find the rest of the name.
Search by song name + last name and see if there is a registered work in
the database.
http://iswcnet.cisac.org/
https://www.ascap.com/Home/ace-title-search/index.aspx
http://repertoire.bmi.com/startpage.asp
Search for anything that they have recorded and if you can see if the same
name / ipi number shows up.
If you can see that most of the works are written by the one person you
have more of a confirmation that you have the right person.

Also check wikipedia, discogs, and google.
If someone has written an article about them it may include thair legal
name.
You can sometimes get lucky with googling "song name writer" "musician
interview", "better known as xxxx"
Sometimes checking thair facebook, twitter, soundcloud also confirms the
legal name.