> hmm.. i am not sure what you are doing wrong then... an UPDATE should
> only apply CHANGES to the database. this measn if you have removed 2
> folders, only 2 folders will be removed, the rest stays as it is.

30k songs here, but NFS mounted, which is almost certainly the reason.
Plus there are a lot of WMA/WAV/RealPlayer/etc files in there that MPD
won't like, I'd guess - it may be scanning all of those every time I
update because those files will never make it into the database
(because it doesn't recognise them).

(Note, I'm not actually sure if MPD can't read WAVs, WMAs, etc but I
use those as an example - there are all sorts of filetypes in there,
some of which I'm sure MPD can't read!)

> i was NOT talking about the create-db option of mpd. You should never
> have to use that anyway, since its automatically run on 1st start of
> mpd. afterwards only use the update function which should always be
> finished in a few seonds (I have 20.000 songs and it takes not longer
> then 5 seconds, depending on how much has changed)

I'll install mpd on the box with the music on it and see how it
performs. If it really only takes a few seconds to update (after first
update, of course) then I'm an idiot for not trying it before :)

--
Jonny Tyers