Assalaamu'alaikum, :-)

My name is Dzikrullah W. Pramudya, a journalist based in Jakarta.
I'm grateful to have a chance to join this forum. I hope to broaden
my silaturrahim, and to learn from Brothers and Sisters Muslim
journalist from around the world.

Below is one of my article published by The Brunei Times daily.

May ALLAH unite our heart.

Salaam,

dzik

=======

The Brunei Times
http://www.bruneitimes.com.bn
Opinion

Holiday a time to ponder children's education

Dzikrullah W Pramudya
JAKARTA

09-Dec-06

`Muslims achieved modernisation by practicing their faith. ' THIS
holiday, when the children rush off to splash into the sea and build
sandcastles on the sunny beach, we should take a moment to sit back
and evaluate how we have been educating them. Have we really given
them the education which will not only raise them to be good
citizens of this lovely country, but will develop them into Insan
Kamil? This is a Quranic term which describes the perfect human
beings in the sight of Allah, namely those who are strong in the
four dimensions of ruhiyah (spirituality), 'aqliyah
(intellectuality), syu-uriyah (emotional and mental qualities) and
jismiyah (physical strength).

Hillary Rodham Clinton once quoted a Swahili proverb that says, ``It
takes a village to raise a child.'' No, a village is not even nearly
enough.

This is a story about three cities that have in the long history of
mankind become centres of excellence in education: Oxford, Cambridge
and Madinah al- Munawwarah.

No matter how many great universities exist or are being built in
Britain, Oxbridge (which stands for Oxford and Cambridge) remains
the most important symbol of British education so far. Dormitories,
colleges, even some of those chapels from the 13th century will
still welcome you today, in addition to the ultra-modern buildings
of research centres and auditoriums. The two cities are beautified
by rivers and gardens. Oxbridgehas beenacradle of modern life and
industrial civilisation in Britain for centuries. Nobel Prize
winners lived in Oxbridge. Political leaders and prominent
economists from around the world were trained here.

But the city of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) Madinah was more spectacular
than Oxford and Cambridge ever were. Maybe not in terms of
facilities, but because Madinah produced a great tradition of
knowledge that integrated iman (faith), 'ilmu (knowledge), 'amal
(action/ activities) and jihad (spiritual, mental and physical
struggle in the path of Allah). In Oxbridge, a professor is
respectable because of his knowledge in physics, for instance, and
nobody would bat an eye over his sexual orientation or proclivities
or even if he should make derogatory comments about the church.

In Madinah, you could never become a respected scholar if you
launched a campaign to say that Al-Quran is merely ``a cultural
product''. A man, who narrated a hadith, if he ever performed a
deception about something, would have his name recorded in the book
of mustalahal hadith (the big book of everything about hadith) as a
liar until the end of the world. Any narration that he issued would
be classified invalid. God forbid that he should commit ma'siyat
(crime) or intentionally abandon salat. Freedom of speech was
guaranteed in Madinah, but preaching something that contravened the
Islamic faith or committing a crime against the sharia would nullify
your scientific credibility.

A scholar in Madinah was by no means a saint, but someone with a
solid personality who integrated iman, 'ilmu, 'amal and jihad.

In its historical record, Oxbridge had been involved in conflicts
with the church over various issues. Those conflicts arose when the
growth of scientific knowledge was such that it began to challenge
the church's doctrine. Tensions would ease off only when the church
stepped back to the altar and limited its role in the knowledge and
scientif ic development arena. The church was forced to secularise
itself in order to avoid being totally abandoned by the society.
This had resulted in the great leaps and bounds in scientific
advancement that, undeniably, gave material benefits to the
contemporary West and the world in general.

In contrast, Madinah, Damascus and Baghdad had all witnessed and
harvested the pearls of knowledge, scientific and technological
advancement that derived from Al-Quran.

During the centuries that for the West constituted the Dark Ages,
the Islamic civilisation and the world in general witnessed the
explosion of the bodyknowledge and scientific achievements in fields
such as astronomy, physics, medicine, biology, mathematics, economy,
literature, war technology and philosophy by Muslim scholars. These
scholars memorised Al-Quran, thousands of hadiths, spent their night
in prostration to Allah with tears in their eyes, spent their wealth
for zakat and shadaqah, they even went to wars as Prophet Muhammad
(PBUH) and his companions had done. All those, while continuing
their pursuit of knowledge, scientific and technological inventions.

If one needs convincing, one can take a look at 1001 Inventions,
Muslim Heritage in Our World, a new book that discusses a golden age
of civilisation, from600 and 1600 CE, because medieval Muslims were
trailblazers in fields as diverse as medicine and mechanics,
cartography and chemistry, education and engineering, architecture
and astronomy.

Many a Muslim scholar had pointed out that while in the West leaped
into the so-called modernisation by abandoning their religions;
Muslims achieved modernisation through practicing their faith. This
all had started with Madinah, a complete and ``pure'' city of
education in the true sense of the word. It had as its leader
ama'shum (freed from any sins) man, Prophet Muhammad (PBUH), smart
and broad-minded. Its scholars were courageous, honest people with
integrity who were also the companions of the Prophet. It had a very
busy, dynamic and great masjid which was open 24 hours a day. And
the most important element of this education city was the sustained
revelation of Al-Quran from Allah during the 10 years of the
Prophet's life and struggle there.

It was a community development and character building programme par
excellence. This was the city that would later inspire
the ``glorious'' knowledge and scientific advancement in Damascus,
Baghdad, Cordova and Istanbul, which eventually led them to become
the centres ofworld civilisation. When most streets in the Dark
Ages' London were dark and crime-invested, all streets in Cordova
were bright with lamps and hundreds of libraries served the seekers
of knowledge until the late hours.

Where can one find a greater city than the humble Madinah? Madinah
was a city where men could confidently leave their wives and
children for months – in some cases even years – for the cause of
dakwah, muamalah (business) and jihad (the struggle in the pathof
Allah) to any corners of the world. Those men believed that Madinah
would protect and educate their wives and children tobecome world
class people. In their houses, the children had mothers who had
memorised the Quran and hadith (the two very sources of knowledge
and science), and whose honour and dignity as women was protected by
the shariah.

In the masjid, these children could easily meet the Prophet and the
great companions who took care of the welfare of the orphans, the
poor and the needy into their own hands. Can anyone find better
teachers for their children than those people? In every corner of
the city, the children could always see for themselves the shahabah
(companions of the Prophet), or the kuffar (people who denied the
truth from Allah), or the munafiq (the hypocrites), as real-life
comparisons.

The big question of our time is this: Have all the millions of
ringgit that we are pouring into our children's education, brought
these young people closer to the tawhid (integration of faith,
knowledge and action) that permeated the air of Madinah, or to the
secularised environment of Oxford and Cambridge? Our answer would
define the kind of civilisation that we are preparing for our
children and the future generations.

* The writer is managing editor of ISLAMIA scientific journal for
Islamic thought and civilisation, published in Jakarta

Copyright © 2006. Powered by Atex
Make this my homepage