In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

MAS Freedom Announces Gaza Strip Evacuation

and Reunion of Arizona's Hegazy Family

62-Day Struggle Finally Over As Family Reunites in Amman, Jordan

By Aishah Schwartz

WASHINGTON, DC - August 23, 2007 (MASNET) MAS Freedom (MASF), as the civic
and human rights advocacy entity of the Muslim American Society (MAS), is
overwhelmingly pleased to report that, Dr. Mohamed Hegazy and his wife,
Sohair (36), and daughters Somaya (19), Asma (18), Israa (15), and sons,
Sohaib (14), and Mos'ab (11), stranded and waiting 62-days to be evacuated
from the Gaza Strip, have been reunited in Amman, Jordan.

Hegazy and his family, just two weeks into their long awaited 15-year family
reunion, were caught in the middle of the conflict erupting on June 7, 2007
between Fatah and Hamas, resulting in Hamas control of the Gaza Strip.

After contacting the U.S. Consulate Hegazy received approval for evacuation
on June 21, 2007, but was told that approval for his family had not been
granted. Since his return to the U.S., Hegazy has been fighting an ongoing
battle to get his family home, and more recently contacted MAS Freedom for
support.

MAS Freedom Executive Director, Mahdi Bray went immediately to task.

"We could not stand by and watch as the lives of hard-working, honest,
law-abiding Muslim-American citizens were needlessly jeopardized. Insisting
upon our government's immediate approval of the Hegazy family's evacuation
is just a part of the work we do at MAS Freedom," stated Bray.

In the days that followed, MASF Civil and Human Rights Director, Ibrahim
Abdil-Mu'id Ramey continued to follow-up on Bray's earlier communications
with Senator McCain's office and the U.S. Department of State, reasserting
the necessity of evacuating the Hegazy family as soon as possible.

"The Hegazy family are American citizens and our government had a
responsibility to do everything they could to expedite their safe return,"
asserted Bray.

Tuesday morning, August 21 brought word from David Foley, at the Department
of State, offering reassurances that the Hegazy family would be evacuated by
the end of the week. The call was followed by written confirmation from
Department of State staff member Kim B. Richter.

In a telephone call from Amman, Hegazy reported, "Thanks to God and the
countless prayers of family, friends, and others wishing us well, my family
has been evacuated."

Hegazy added, "Aside from being terribly distressed by our separation and
the nightmare of the last 62-days, my family is well. We are grateful to be
reunited. I would like to thank MAS Freedom for their support in my family's
time of crisis."

Good news looms on the horizon for many other families that MAS Freedom had
not previously known about, as Hegazy also reported that two busloads of
U.S. citizens were part of today's evacuation.

Contact MASF toll-free at 1-888-627-8471 or by sending an email to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

RELATED:

Despite Three Known Evacuations <http://www.masnet.org/news.asp?id=4207>
Hegazy Family Remains Stranded in Gaza Strip

June 'Battle of Gaza' Separates <http://www.masnet.org/news.asp?id=4181>
Chandler, AZ Muslim Family

MAS Freedom (MASF) is a civic and human rights advocacy entity and sister
organization of the Muslim American Society (MAS), the largest Muslim,
grassroots, charitable, religious, social, cultural, civic and educational
organization in America - with 55 chapters in 35 states. Learn more at
<http://www.masnet.org> http://www.masnet.org.

MAS Freedom

3606 Forest Drive

Alexandria, VA 22302

Tel: 1-(888)-627-8471

Fax: (703) 998-6526

http://www.masnet.org/index_publicaffairs.asp

Email:  <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED]