In the name of Allah, the Most-Merciful, the All-Compassionate

"May the Peace and Blessings of Allah be Upon You"

Praise be to Allaah, we seek His help and His forgiveness. We seek refuge with
Allaah from the evil of our own souls and from our bad deeds. Whomsoever Allaah
guides will never be led astray, and whomsoever Allaah leaves astray, no one
can
guide. I bear witness that there is no god but Allaah, and I bear witness that
Muhammad is His slave and Messenger.

Bismillah Walhamdulillah Was Salaatu Was Salaam 'ala Rasulillah
As-Salaam Alaikum Wa-Rahmatullahi Wa-Barakatuhu

Fasting in Shabaan

compiled by Imran Ayub

1.1 It is  Mustahabb (recommended) to fast a great deal in the month of Shabaan

Narrated Aaishah (may Allah be pleased with her): “Allahs Apostle (peace be
upon
him) used to fast till one  would say that he would never stop fasting, and he
would abandon fasting  till one would say that he would never fast. I never saw
Allah's Apostle fasting for a whole month except the month of Ramadan, and did
not see him fasting in any month more than in the month of Shabaan.”[1]

1.2 The  Reason for Fasting so much in Shabaan

Narrated  Usaamah ibn Zayd (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “I said, O
Messenger of Allaah (peace be upon him), I do not see you fasting in any  month
more than in Shabaan.

He said, That is a month concerning which many people are  heedless, between
Rajab and Ramadaan. It is the month is which peoples  deeds are taken up to the
Lord of the Worlds, and I would like my deeds  to be taken up whilst I am
fasting.’”[2]

 1.3 After  the Half of Shabaan

Narrated Aboo  Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of
Allah  (peace be upon him) said: “When  Shabaan is half over, do not fast.”[3]

Sheikh  Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “Even if  the
hadeeth is Saheeh, the prohibition in it does not mean that this is  Haraam,
rather it is simply makrooh (disliked), as some of the scholars  have
understood
it to mean. But whoever has the habit of fasting  regularly should fast, even
if
it is after halfway through Sha’baan.”[4]

 1.4 Fasting  the day of doubt

Narrated Aboo  Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him): The Prophet (peace be
upon  him) said, “None of you should  fast a day or two before the month of
Ramadan unless he has the habit of  fasting (Nawafil) (and if his fasting
coincides with that day) then he  can fast that day.”[5]

[1](Agreed Upon); Saheeh  Bukhaari, Volume 3, Book 31, Number 190; Saheeh
Muslim, Book 006, Number  2580
[2]Sunan an – Nasaa’I;  Sunan Aboo Daawood; Classed Saheeh by Ibn Khuzaymah;
Classed  as Hasan by Sheikh al - Albaanee in Saheeh Sunan an – Nasaa’I,  Number
2221; as quoted in http://islam-qa.com/en/ref/13729
[3]Sunan Aboo Daawood,  Number 3237; Sunan at – Tirmidhee, Number 738; Sunan
Ibn
Majaah, Number 1651; Ibn Hibbaan, Number 1651; Classed as Saheeh  by Sheikh al
-
Albaanee in Saheeh Sunan at – Tirmidhee,  Number 590; as quoted in
http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/13726
[4]Commentary on Riyaadh  al-Saaliheen(3/394); as quoted in
http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/13726
[5](Agreed Upon); Saheeh  Bukhaari, Volume 3, Book 31, Number 138; Saheeh
Muslim, Book  006, Number 2382

 Permission is granted to circulate among private individuals and groups, to
post on Internet sites and to publish in full text and subject title in
not-for-profit publications.