Suppose I have multiple email accounts on the same IMAP server, e.g. a
personal Gmail account and a Google Apps work account. With suitable
account-hook configuration I can get to them from the commandline with:

mutt -f imaps://myperso...@imap.gmail.com/
mutt -f imaps://me%40work....@imap.gmail.com/

I could even alias it in my shell so I don't have to type all of that each
time. If I'm actually within mutt, though, it's pretty inconvenient. What
I'd really like is to be able to alias an account (or, more accurately, a
folder prefix) e.g.

folder-alias personal imaps://myperso...@imap.gmail.com/
folder-alias work     imaps://me%40work....@imap.gmail.com/

...so I could then use them on the commandline (note the % as an indicator
of such an alias, similar to the @ indicator for the default save folder
for an email alias):

mutt -f %personal/INBOX
mutt -f %work/INBOX

I could also see this being useful for filesystem folders. Suppose you are
dealing with an IMAP account with a quota. You might routinely archive
things to your home directory, but most of the time you want $folder to
point to the server. Instead of changing the value of folder when you are
going to archive, you have

folder-alias archive ~/archived-email/`date +%Y-%m`

...and save messages to %archive/mutt-dev (perhaps with a cron job to
create the monthly folder).

Does anyone find this objectionable as a feature? Is anyone interested in
working on it? If no one is I can try to find time myself, but free time
has been in short supply since kids...

--Greg